DFS 2018 LE Brush is now live. Read more here!!

#1
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2016, 05:56 AM by RzaRazor.)
Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a new boar brush from Semogue but was a little confused about their descriptions regarding 'tops'. I've narrowed it down to 3 boar brushes and I was hoping if some of you could explain to me what these "tops" descriptions mean? Also wouldn't mind hearing which of these 3 you think is the best or maybe naming a Semogue brush you think is great that I didn't list. Thanks everyone! Happy Shaving!


Semogue 830 Premium Boar Bristle Shaving Brush - with Premium 90% tops.

Semogue 620 Premium Boar Bristle Shaving Brush - with Extra 75% tops.

Semogue 610 Premium Boar Bristle Shaving Brush In Red - with best 90% tops.
#2

Member
Austin, TX
Hi RzaRazor Semogues are solid brushes. The % tops refers to how many of the hairs measure the full length of the loft. 90% means the remaining 10% are a bit shorter. Generally speaking, higher the %, the more uniform the knot.

The 1305 is another classic Semogue IMHO.
Kevin
[+] 1 user likes this post
#3
If you face lather I highly recomend the Semogue 1520. The 1305 has a taller loft and a little less backbone and allows you to bowl lather, while still being able to face lather.
I own and really enjoy using both of them.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user likes this post
#4

Member
West Virginia
As stated above the 1305 is a great brush,don't over look it.Especially if you sometimes bowl lather and sometimes face lather,very versatile brush IMHO.I own the 610 as well,great little brush.For me it's a fantastic face latherer,which ever Semogue you choose be sure and give it time to break in.They won't knock your socks off right out of the box but after it breaks in you will own a fine shaving brush for sure.Good luck.
[+] 1 user likes this post
#5

Administrator
Philadelphia, PA
Teiste and oversaturn are pretty well-versed on the semogue brushes. maybe they can share some insight with us!
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
[+] 2 users like this post
#6
Hi Rzarazor, I noticed the brushes you mentioned are all boar brushes. To me, the best boar brushes are the SOC and then the 1305.
VintageScent.com - your shop for Semogue brushes and more wetshaving products.
[+] 1 user likes this post
#7

Member
Austin, TX
(01-28-2016, 06:31 PM)Leon Wrote: Hi Rzarazor, I noticed the brushes you mentioned are all boar brushes. To me, the best boar brushes are the SOC and then the 1305.

Thanks much Bruno- the definitive information source for all things Semogue IMHO!
Kevin
#8
(01-28-2016, 06:31 PM)Leon Wrote: Hi Rzarazor, I noticed the brushes you mentioned are all boar brushes. To me, the best boar brushes are the SOC and then the 1305.

"Best?" Not if you prefer pro size brushes my friend. Wink
#9
(01-28-2016, 07:39 PM)Glenn Miller Wrote: "Best?" Not if you prefer pro size brushes my friend. Wink

If by "pro" you mean the Omega Pro 49, that kind of loft won't appeal to everyone. To me a more balanced knot is slightly shorter, IMHO.
I've only had a 49 in my hands for a few minutes and felt less dense than the Semogue equivalent - the Semogue 2000. For that kind of loft, you need a lot of boar to stuff that know and keep it stiff, otherwise it will feel like a mop. Big Grin
VintageScent.com - your shop for Semogue brushes and more wetshaving products.
[+] 1 user likes this post
#10
(02-04-2016, 04:47 PM)Leon Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 07:39 PM)Glenn Miller Wrote: "Best?" Not if you prefer pro size brushes my friend. Wink

If by "pro" you mean the Omega Pro 49, that kind of loft won't appeal to everyone. To me a more balanced knot is slightly shorter, IMHO.
I've only had a 49 in my hands for a few minutes and felt less dense than the Semogue equivalent - the Semogue 2000. For that kind of loft, you need a lot of boar to stuff that know and keep it stiff, otherwise it will feel like a mop.  Big Grin

For me, Pro is both the 48 and 98 but yeah, 49 works too. I like either my 48 or 98 better than my 2000. But see? It's a matter of what I like, not what's "best." That was the point of my original comment.
[+] 1 user likes this post


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)