#1
Not had a lot of experience with boar brushes, just a cheap Omega and Burma Shave one, but would like to delve into boars a bit more.  But I really have no idea where to start as there are so many brands/models available.  How does one know where to start or is it just by chance that you get a good one right away?

Do I need to spend a lot or are there more moderately priced ones that will work well and for a long time.  I do have a limited budget as a retired military guy

Any help will be appreciated

Enjoy those shaves folks
#2
An opinion, my best boar brush until now… Semogue SOC taj, it was my 15th boar, and right now I have the previous 14 brushes that they’re not in use…

I don’t remember where I’ve read, that you can find the same knot on a semogue torga C5, but this should be verified…

Keep an eye and look for reviews of the semogue taj

AQU and Deus Vult like this post
#3

Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
I second the Semogue SOC. Mine is the cherry wood handle and it was just about broken in right out of the box.

wyze0ne and Deus Vult like this post
- Eric 
Put your message in a modem, 
And throw it in the Cyber Sea
--Rush, "Virtuality"

Overloader of brushes, Overlander fanboy, Schickhead, and a GEM in the rough!
#4

Geezer
New Brunswick, Canada
I've not tried many new boar brushes, but my favourite so far is the Omega 10086 Travel brush, with its 18 mm knot.
All the others are way too soft or floppy for me, with my least favourite being an Omega 49.

I do like the stubby handle on the Semogue 620 though.
"So I'm sorry that you're psychotic but just make an effort. Pull yourself together and take a deep breath." - Hannah Pitt (Meryl Streep), in "Angels in America"
#5
(07-09-2023, 03:01 AM)bayourider Wrote: Not had a lot of experience with boar brushes, just a cheap Omega and Burma Shave one, but would like to delve into boars a bit more.  But I really have no idea where to start as there are so many brands/models available.  How does one know where to start or is it just by chance that you get a good one right away?

Do I need to spend a lot or are there more moderately priced ones that will work well and for a long time.  I do have a limited budget as a retired military guy

Any help will be appreciated

Enjoy those shaves folks

What do you find lacking in the "cheap Omega and Burma Shave one"? Do you want girly soft or manly firm? Most boar lovers like plenty of backbone and some scrub and scritch, but we need to know what you're looking for.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.

It's like the blues, the best stuff comes from dead guys.
#6
Had an extra 24mm handle so got a Boti 22mm knot that was described as "white boar bristle". It is bleached but still has a natural yellow/tan color with no animal stench. Set it with a 54mm loft and feels quite stiff when dry but softens nicely when wet and still has a good backbone. Broke in (hairs splitting) with just a couple of shaves.
#7

Member
Wisconsin
I have a couple of boar brushes from Zenith that I bought on that auction site.
Copper handle and the big handle chrome. Once they are broken in…these brushes are as good as anything else.

Hoover53 likes this post
Deus Ex Machina
#8

Member
Pennsylvania
(07-09-2023, 03:01 AM)bayourider Wrote: Not had a lot of experience with boar brushes, just a cheap Omega and Burma Shave one, but would like to delve into boars a bit more.  But I really have no idea where to start as there are so many brands/models available.  How does one know where to start or is it just by chance that you get a good one right away?

Do I need to spend a lot or are there more moderately priced ones that will work well and for a long time.  I do have a limited budget as a retired military guy

Any help will be appreciated

Enjoy those shaves folks

I have the Semogue 830 & it is a really good brush & not expensive. This model has 90% top hair.
90% tops hair loft like the 830 or 1305 has the longest hair in the loft, while the remaining 10% are a little shorter. The more "tops" percentage a grade is, the more uniform is in the tips, and performs better.
As already mentioned the Semogue SOC series are also great. I also have the SOC Taj with 50% boar & 50% badger.
#9
The Razorock blondie is a Zenith, and a very good inexpensive boarhair brush.

wyze0ne likes this post
#10
Zenith makes excellent boar brushes. Great handles as well. Once broken in they are great brushes. Also I would stay away from copper handled brushes as they do tend to develop verdigris at the base of the knot. Doesn't matter what kind of knot.

wyze0ne and jags009 like this post


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)