Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
I just listened to some of the YT songs you posted, mrdoug, and I likey! Any particular album I should look for first? One of the live ones represent well? That is really a cool sound, and been around long enough that I would have thought I'd come across it somewhere! But for the last few years, I have been diving deep into my faves, Rush and Jethro Tull, and in Tull's words, have been Living in the Past! (RIP Neil).

mrdoug likes this post
- Eric 
Put your message in a modem, 
And throw it in the Cyber Sea
--Rush, "Virtuality"

Overloader of brushes, Overlander fanboy, Schickhead, and a GEM in the rough!

New York
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2021, 08:31 PM by mrdoug.)
(09-06-2021, 08:10 PM)MaineYooper Wrote: I just listened to some of the YT songs you posted, mrdoug, and I likey! Any particular album I should look for first? One of the live ones represent well? That is really a cool sound, and been around long enough that I would have thought I'd come across it somewhere! But for the last few years, I have been diving deep into my faves, Rush and Jethro Tull, and in Tull's words, have been Living in the Past! (RIP Neil).
Hmm. They're all great, really. The live Album, Northampton, has a good selection of songs you'll probably like. Additionally, their second-most-recent album, Broken Arms, is pretty awesome IMO. I believe I like every song on that one.

Also White lake as Pseumoustophy and Devil's Son. Both awesome, must hear imo. Geez, this could get difficult. Lol. Just start searching YT, I'd say.

Also, who's Neil? I thought Tull was Ian Anderson. Am I thinking of the wedding band / front man?
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

MaineYooper likes this post

Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
(09-06-2021, 08:26 PM)mrdoug Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 08:10 PM)MaineYooper Wrote: I just listened to some of the YT songs you posted, mrdoug, and I likey!  Any particular album I should look for first? One of the live ones represent well?  That is really a cool sound, and been around long enough that I would have thought I'd come across it somewhere! But for the last few years, I have been diving deep into my faves, Rush and Jethro Tull, and in Tull's words, have been Living in the Past! (RIP Neil).
Hmm. They're all great, really. The live Album, Northampton, has a good selection of songs you'll probably like. Additionally, their second-most-recent album, Broken Arms, is pretty awesome IMO. I believe I like every song on that one.

Also White lake as Pseumoustophy and Devil's Son. Both awesome, must hear imo. Geez, this could get difficult. Lol. Just start searching YT, I'd say.

Also, who's Neil? I thought Tull was Ian Anderson. Am I thinking of the wedding band / front man?

https://youtu.be/LWRMOJQDiLU
- Eric 
--Rush, "Virtuality"

New York
(09-07-2021, 03:25 AM)MaineYooper Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 08:26 PM)mrdoug Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 08:10 PM)MaineYooper Wrote: I just listened to some of the YT songs you posted, mrdoug, and I likey!  Any particular album I should look for first? One of the live ones represent well?  That is really a cool sound, and been around long enough that I would have thought I'd come across it somewhere! But for the last few years, I have been diving deep into my faves, Rush and Jethro Tull, and in Tull's words, have been Living in the Past! (RIP Neil).

https://youtu.be/LWRMOJQDiLU
Oh, Rush! I wasn't following the train of thought, where you are talking about Tull. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

MaineYooper likes this post

New York
September 9, 2021

In honor of my mothers birthday, I decided to use my 1950 Gillette Superspeed (her birth year).

I chose the newest Trotter Handcrafts brush (Crab Nebula), and a fresh Personna Comfort coated blade.

As we are getting a bit of the cooler weather, I decided to break out the AoS Olibanum and Black Pepper cream. The lather on this stuff is really good. A little goes a long way and it smells so good.

The shave was so-so, as I honestly don't appreciate the older Gillettes. I think if I used them more often I might get a better shave, but I am sure it still wouldn't beat my Henson. So, this goes away again... At least for another year.

I finished off with the Stirling Glacial Post Shave Balm and another shave bites the dust.

Have a good evening DFS!
[Image: 8741d59728a921d59e5c793163509a1a.jpg]

MaineYooper, MilkCrate, Dave in KY and 2 others like this post

Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
Great report, and lovely photo!

Dave in KY, mrdoug and Stubble Daddy like this post
- Eric 
--Rush, "Virtuality"

Trotter Handcrafts
Bellingham, Washington USA
For what it’s worth Paul, I’ve never been able to get consistent, amazing shaves from my old Gillette razors (and I have a lot of them).

My modern razors trump them every single time. That said, I do collect Fatboy’s and Slim’s and occasionally use them. I certainly appreciate these classics for what they are… and vintage is super cool, but ya, a Henson, Yates, Blackland, etc is clearly the winner for me.

mrdoug and MaineYooper like this post

Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
Same here. I love the history, but others, particularly SE, work so much better for me.

Stubble Daddy and mrdoug like this post
- Eric 
--Rush, "Virtuality"

New York
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 11:12 PM by mrdoug.)
Wednesday September 15th, 2021

I received my newest brush, already set for me Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Stubble Daddy . He also included some blades that I've never tried before - Tiger platinum. I figured, let's make it a trifecta... So I broke out the new(ish) sample of Hendrix Havana breeze.

Their newest soap base is really good, and this scent is amazing. It's a straight tobacco scent, like stepping into a humidor, and is a good mix of varying types of tobacco (I think). I believe I touched on this in my last shave post (or was it two posts ago?). Nonetheless it's good stuff, and I plan to pick up a full tub as soon as it's ready.

The brush is stunning. The action photo does not do it justice, as there is very little natural light in my bathroom. So I went downstairs to the big window and took a picture of the brush itself. Much better.

I may have been most shocked by the blade. For some reason I had in my head that Tiger was a very cheap brand, possibly made in China? I just assumed it was going to be rough and not well made (quality control etc). I was definitely wrong. It was a smooth, very mild blade. Reminded me a lot of my (new? current?) favorite Personna Comfort Coated. I think the shave may have been Not quite as close, too. Still, when you expect the worst, you're bound to be surprised. This brand could just be my 'sunburn razor', as I tend to fight with that a lot in the summer. It was that smooth!

The music for the shave was The Steeldrivers. Good music, good fun!

All in all a wonderful shave with some wonderful gear. I hope your little apprentice is happy Paul. She and her daddy did quite a good job on this handle.

Have an awesome evening DFS![Image: dbced182a2463ae7d1c782986178743f.jpg][Image: 5c61e49123a954ea6cbf776525e5e6d1.jpg]

Sent from my RadioShack TRS-80 using Tapatalk

Marty M, MaineYooper, Stubble Daddy and 2 others like this post

Scentsless Shaver
Oakland, ME
(09-15-2021, 10:44 PM)mrdoug Wrote: Wednesday September 15th, 2021

I received my newest brush, already set for me Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Stubble Daddy . He also included some blades that I've never tried before - Tiger platinum. I figured, let's make it a trifecta... So I broke out the new(ish) sample of Hendrix Havana breeze.

Their newest soap base is really good, and this scent is amazing. It's a straight tobacco scent, like stepping into a humidor, and is a good mix of varying types of tobacco (I think). I believe I touched on this in my last shave post (or was it two posts ago?). Nonetheless it's good stuff, and I plan to pick up a full tub as soon as it's ready.

The brush is stunning. The action photo does not do it justice, as there is very little natural light in my bathroom. So I went downstairs to the big window and took a picture of the brush itself. Much better.

I may have been most shocked by the blade. For some reason I had in my head that Tiger was a very cheap brand, possibly made in China? I just assumed it was going to be rough and not well made (quality control etc). I was definitely wrong. It was a smooth, very mild blade. Reminded me a lot of my (new? current?) favorite Personna Comfort Coated. I think the shave may have been Not quite as close, too. Still, when you expect the worst, you're bound to be surprised. This brand could just be my 'sunburn razor', as I tend to fight with that a lot in the summer. It was that smooth!

The music for the shave was The Steeldrivers. Good music, good fun!

All in all a wonderful shave with some wonderful gear. I hope your little apprentice is happy Paul. She and her daddy did quite a good job on this handle.

Have an awesome evening DFS![Image: dbced182a2463ae7d1c782986178743f.jpg][Image: 5c61e49123a954ea6cbf776525e5e6d1.jpg]

Sent from my RadioShack TRS-80 using Tapatalk

A wonderful report and some great photos of that brush! And let me echo Mr. Doug, Well done, young apprentice! And the same to the Master Turner (aka Stubble Daddy)!

mrdoug, Dave in KY and Stubble Daddy like this post
- Eric 
--Rush, "Virtuality"