Las Vegas, NV, USA
So I’m not even sure how I stumbled upon the website called Try That Soap, but it is quite interesting. To “properly” use the site, it seems necessary to create an account and then log into the site. (Note: The site is not secured, so I would not necessarily use a prime e-mail address to create an account.)

Has anyone used this site, and if so, what is your experience? I wonder if the creator of the site is a member here on DFS…

http://www.trythatsoap.com/

wyze0ne likes this post
Whenever I go to shave, I assume there’s someone else on the planet shaving, so I say “I’m gonna go shave, too.”
– Mitch Hedberg
Interesting.
Garrett, The Shaving Disciple - Christian, Husband, Father, Writer, YouTuber, Head Shaver
2024 Software Restraint

Administrator
Philadelphia, PA
I think I saw that site on instagram or twitter somewhere. I haven't used it myself, no. it's also a real shame that sites aren't using HTTPS today when certs can easily be had for free by let's encrypt.

Matsilainen and BadDad like this post
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Merchant
Arkansas
I've chatted with the guy who set it up a few times as he was building the site. It will be a really great tool as he continues to add soaps, and as users continue to go in and add ratings and such. The numbers from the testing he's done as the number of users on the site has grown shows real promise that it will be a successful tool in getting people to the soaps they are looking for.

Matsilainen likes this post

Administrator
Philadelphia, PA
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016, 08:29 PM by andrewjs18.)
(11-01-2016, 08:28 PM)ezlovan Wrote: I've chatted with the guy who set it up a few times as he was building the site. It will be a really great tool as he continues to add soaps, and as users continue to go in and add ratings and such. The numbers from the testing he's done as the number of users on the site has grown shows real promise that it will be a successful tool in getting people to the soaps they are looking for.

tell him to add an SSL cert to the site. if a site is handling user login data, it SHOULD be secured. Tongue

Matsilainen, BadDad and ezlovan like this post
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Cutting Edge Soap
Maricopa, AZ
Negatives are that the site ratings are directed toward scent over performance. Scent is highly subjective so what do the ratings really mean as we all won't care for the same scents?

The site states that most soaps are really good and about all perform the same. This is not true as far as I'm concerned. It tells you to rate soaps only based on scent and to disregard performance in the ratings.

To me this is a tool that could be a great resource but might well end up being a missed opportunity.

SCShaver, Lfs70, wyze0ne and 2 others like this post

South Saint Louis, MO
I gave the site owner a heads up about this discussion in case he wants to come over and participate. I'm sure he would love to hear about any suggestions about how he can improve the site. It's very, very new and still being built, so I'm sure he would love to hear any suggestions about how he could move forward with improvements. I know he's put in a lot of work, but like most of us, he's time-poor due to those pesky real-life obligations that tend to get in the way of fun stuff.

Freddy, BadDad, Matsilainen and 2 others like this post

That Bald Guy with the Big Beard
Bishop, CA
(11-01-2016, 10:20 PM)hawns Wrote: I gave the site owner a heads up about this discussion in case he wants to come over and participate. I'm sure he would love to hear about any suggestions about how he can improve the site. It's very, very new and still being built, so I'm sure he would love to hear any suggestions about how he could move forward with improvements. I know he's put in a lot of work, but like most of us, he's time-poor due to those pesky real-life obligations that tend to get in the way of fun stuff.

Good job! That's exactly what is needed...for the developer of the site to have a real conversation with those of us that would use it AND those of you that would (presumably) supply the soaps to try, be it through donations, sales, or samples...however it works...

Freddy, Matsilainen, hawns and 1 others like this post
-Chris~Head Shaver~

South Saint Louis, MO
(11-01-2016, 10:43 PM)BadDad Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 10:20 PM)hawns Wrote: I gave the site owner a heads up about this discussion in case he wants to come over and participate. I'm sure he would love to hear about any suggestions about how he can improve the site. It's very, very new and still being built, so I'm sure he would love to hear any suggestions about how he could move forward with improvements. I know he's put in a lot of work, but like most of us, he's time-poor due to those pesky real-life obligations that tend to get in the way of fun stuff.

Good job! That's exactly what is needed...for the developer of the site to have a real conversation with those of us that would use it AND those of you that would (presumably) supply the soaps to try, be it through donations, sales, or samples...however it works...

Thanks! He said he'll be by tonight after he gets off work.

Also, I don't think there are any samples involved, more of a way to say, if you like this soap, then you should try this one. But I should probably shut my trap and let the man himself explain Smile

mpontiff, Matsilainen and BadDad like this post

That Bald Guy with the Big Beard
Bishop, CA
Another really good reason for him to be here...explain how it works, and what we, as consumers, need to do to make it successful...

I had assumed it was similar to TryABlade.com, where you actually get to buy individual blades to try. Having a warehouse full of soap samples would be much more difficult, I imagine, but also well worth it...in my opinion, of course...

Freddy likes this post
-Chris~Head Shaver~